CEJA is offering a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in the field of environmental justice and build skills in event planning. Intern with CEJA this summer and be a part of planning the 2012 Grassroots Climate Justice Convening. Download the internship description or see below.
To apply, e-mail your resume and cover letter detailing why you want to intern with CEJA and your experience with environmental or social justice work to Amy Vanderwarker: email@example.com. Please put “CEJA Internship” in the subject line. Feel free to contact Amy with any questions at (510) 302-0430 x 13.
California Environmental Justice Alliance Internship
The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is offering an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to get hands-on event planning experience, work with some of the leading environmental justice organizations in California, and participate in an exciting Grassroots Climate Justice and Renewable Energy Convening alongside community residents, organizers, and environmental justice advocates from across California. We are seeking an intern to help with planning and logistics for a Grassroots Climate Justice Convening in August 2012. The intern will work directly with CEJA’s Co-coordinator out of CEJA’s Oakland office.
About the 2012 CEJA Grassroots Climate Justice Convening
CEJA will be hosting a convening on August 15th – 16th in Sacramento, CA. The convening will bring together approximately 120 residents from environmental justice communities throughout California, organizers and advocates from the CEJA member organizations, and allies. The two-day convening will include coalition-building activities, strategy sharing about climate change and renewable energy work throughout California, and a session on CEJA’s Green Zones Initiative. The two days will culminate with a training and grassroots lobby day for CEJA’s bill, Solar For All (AB 1990), which if passed will help build small-scale solar projects in low-income communities and communities of color throughout California.
CEJA is seeking an Intern who can assist with the following areas of work related to the planning and coordination of our 2012 Grassroots Climate Justice Convening:
- Coordinate logistics for convening, including travel arrangements for participants, food and communication with venues
- Support coordination of CEJA Convening Planning Committee
- Confirm program speakers and trainers
- Publicity efforts for the convening (online postings, announcements, etc)
- Arrange multi-lingual translation and interpretation and appropriate technology
- Prepare materials for convening participants, such as lobby day packets
- Day-of coordination and logistics
- Follow-up work as needed
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Solid computer skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Independent and motivated worker
- Commitment to racial and social justice or a background with environmental justice issues
- Spanish speaker
- Availability to attend the convening and one day beforehand to prepare, August 14th – 16th in Sacramento. All travel and accommodation costs will be covered by CEJA.
The Intern is asked to make a minimum commitment of working with CEJA from the start of June through the end of August, and to meet a number of work hours agreed upon in advance, ideally around 8 per week. We are offering a $1,000 dollar stipend.
CEJA has an office within our member organization Communities for a Better Environment, located at 1904 Franklin Street in downtown Oakland. It is near the 19th Street BART station and multiple bus lines. The office is wheelchair accessible.