Position Description – Download the full job description here!
The California Environmental Justice Alliance is hiring a social media intern to create powerful, timely, and culturally relevant social media and editorial copy to advance our environmental justice policy work. We’re looking for a motivated, curious and dedicated communicator with a sense of humor and deep dedication to social, economic, racial and environmental justice to join our communications team. The social media intern will be supervised and report to the CEJA Communications Manager. Commitment of 15-20 hours of work, depending on intern availability and experience. The position is for a period of four (4) months, with the possibility of extending.
Reporting Relation / Location
The fiscal sponsor for CEJA is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The fiscal sponsor for CEJA Action is Tides Advocacy Fund. The Development Associate will be a temporary employee of EHC and initially report to the Development Director of CEJA. Remote working is mandatory during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe for staff to return to the office, the Communications Intern should be able to work out of one of CEJA’s offices in Huntington Park, Sacramento, or Oakland.
- Track, monitor and record media hits and produce media tracker for CEJA program staff, CEJA Communications Manager.
- Learn to create, curate and manage statewide press lists.
Social Media Management
- Work with CEJA Communications Associate to curate and publish content across CEJA and CEJA Action’s Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook platforms.
- Track and repost social media content from members and community partners
- Learn to track and record insights from social media platforms for strategic campaigning.
- Help coordinate and organize digital libraries of CEJA Communications materials.
- Help develop and organize CEJA’s communications content calendar.
Research and Content Production
- Attend weekly supervisory meetings with CEJA Communications Manager, provide drafts of social media content per direction of CEJA Communications Manager.
- Provide editorial and research support to CEJA program staff and CEJA Communications Manager.
- Produce posts in alignment with CEJA’s values, voice, and style guide.
- Work with Communications Manager to produce and develop graphics, Tik-Toks, videos, and other media materials to drive our strategic policy and programmatic work.
- Identify and outreach to values-aligned content producers, artists, and designers to support public education and engagement with CEJA’s work.
- Create and share social media toolkits and newsletters.
Qualifications and skills REQUIRED
- Graphic design skills, experience with Canva and Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Strong written skills.
- Spanish fluency preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with Excel a plus.
Qualifications and Skills PREFERRED:
- Experience working in a coalition setting.
- Ability to work flexible hours to respond to position needs.
Compensation: $20 per hour for a duration of 4 months time.
Benefits: CA Sick Leave. This paid leave accrues at the rate of 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Temporary employees may accrue not more than 24 hours of CA Sick Leave in any given year.
Position Close Date: Open until filled
Application Submission Process: Please complete this application and upload your resume to the link.
EHC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN, AND TRANSGENDER AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE TO APPLY.
EHC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.