Open until filled
The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is a statewide, community-led alliance that works to achieve environmental justice by advancing policy solutions. We unite the powerful local organizing of our members in the communities most impacted by environmental hazards – low-income communities and communities of color (immigrant communities) – to improve environmental health by creating comprehensive opportunities for change at a statewide level. CEJA Action builds political power of communities of color to advance environmentally and socially just policies in California and a more participatory, inclusive democracy.
This is a full-time position for one to two years. The SOMAH Outreach & Curriculum Manager will lead the implementation of the landmark Solar on Multifamily Affordable Housing (SOMAH) Program, which allocates $1 billion for installation of rooftop solar on multifamily affordable housing in disadvantaged or low-income communities. This position will focus on creating an outreach curriculum, conducting educational outreach and recruitment, coordinating with allies within SOMAH, and ensuring compliance with program contractual obligations. The SOMAH Outreach & Curriculum Manager will play a critical role in ensuring low-income tenants, including tenants who are monolingual in Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese among other languages, in affordable rental housing in Los Angeles, Bay Area, & San Diego can access community solar. This position will support the CEJA Energy team and Communications team to successfully implement the SOMAH program. The position will lead and assist our CEJA members in creating a curriculum and coordinating the implementation of this program. The SOMAH Outreach and Curriculum Manager will work in close coordination with the SOMAH Program Administrators (PA) a group of 3rd party administrators made up of GRID Alternatives, California Housing Partnership, Center for Sustainable Energy, Association for Energy Affordability, and Rising Sun Center for Opportunity.
The fiscal sponsor for CEJA is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The SOMAH Outreach & Curriculum Manager will be an employee of EHC. This position may be housed in any of CEJA’s offices: Huntington Park, Oakland and Sacramento. Remote working is mandatory during the COVID-19 pandemic.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
Marketing Education & Outreach (ME&O) Planning & Consultation
- Provide input, feedback, and recommendations on the 2021-2022 SOMAH Outreach ME&O, with an emphasis on tenant education, small-scale housing providers, and job training.
- Provide feedback and consultation on program design, with an equity lens for tenants and job trainees • Co-leverage SOMAH ME&O activities with CEJA’s activities supporting community needs, such as emergency community response, community events, and overall organizational initiatives.
- Coordinate and manage statewide SOMAH CBO staff. Responsibilities include leading onwork planning, meetings, quarterly submittals, coordination with the SOMAH Program Administrators (PA), and other community-based organizations (CBOs).
- Quarterly metrics reporting through platforms such as Salesforce and invoicing of actual expenses
- Lead the development of culturally and linguistically relevant curriculum to promote SOMAH to multifamily affordable housing residents and property owners.
- Customize templated educational and marketing materials for the specific audiences SOMAH serves, namely tenants, property owners, and landlords of SOMAH-eligible, potentially eligible, and waitlisted buildings.
Marketing, Outreach & Education
- Coordination of Community Based Organization (CBO) education and outreach activities: o Facilitate bi-weekly meetings with all CBO partners, including planning and logistical arrangements o Serve as liaison with the SOMAH PA for the CBO Subcontractor organizations
o Consolidate CBO marketing metrics for reporting purposes.
- Research and Feedback for Outreach and Marketing:
o Conduct research on how to reach SOMAH-eligible communities
o Co-host two (2) to four (4) meetings annually with key community leaders who have expertise on community-based marketing.
o Develop recommendations for ME&O strategies for use by the SOMAH PA and future CBO subcontractors.
o Provide feedback on the effectiveness of SOMAH ME&O efforts by the SOMAH PA and CBO Subcontractors, and assist the SOMAH PA in its feedback collection efforts.
o Host quarterly community workshops – project management, logistics coordination, outreach, social media, curriculum development, and facilitation
o Support in the development and feedback of SOMAH marketing collateral
o Promote SOMAH through CEJA annual events such as Congreso and aligned conferences o Promote SOMAH over social media
o Target local and statewide media outlets to feature community stories – work closely with and coordinate between CEJA and SOMAH Admin communications staff to create stories to uplift in the media
o Post SOMAH quarterly blog
- Workforce Development and Job Training
o Include job training information in all workshops and curriculum
o Provide feedback to PA on barriers to job training opportunities and identify resources to help community members overcome barriers
- Provide written feedback to the SOMAH PA on barriers to participation identified by CBOs and other stakeholders and recommend program design improvements.
- Develop a standard evaluation strategy for workshops that continually monitors and provides all necessary information to the SOMAH PA
- Coordinate and support CBO regulatory advocacy and program design feedback particularly regarding equity in DAC’s with the CPUC’s Energy Division in partnership with the PA
- Develop and deploy the Train the Trainer and Tenant Education Pilot alongside the PA
- Attend all SOMAH meetings, included but not limited to – CBO bi-weekly meetings, PA bi-weekly meeting, data bi-weekly meeting, quarterly CBO summit, quarterly public summit, quarterly advisory council, and energy equity committee.
Energy Equity Committee
- Bring SOMAH updates to CEJA staff and Energy Equity Committee and other relevant members • Engage and support other work relating to the core of the SOMAH program
Qualifications and skills REQUIRED
- Commitment to environmental, social and economic justice
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point) and online systems like Google Docs and Box.
- Internet fluency; strong web research skills
- Highly detail oriented and accountable
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Is able to travel in the state as needed
- Ability to work flexible hours to respond to position needs
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Demonstration of leadership and coordination skills: self-motivated, able to take direction and implement projects
- Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and take on additional tasks as needed to support CEJA’s overall mission
- Must have strong people skills, be community-friendly and able to engage a broad spectrum of people representing various social, cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to contextualize complicated/technical data into clear and simple information for community members. • Cultural competence.
- Excellent, detail-oriented project management skills.
- Strong training or facilitation skills.
- Public speaking/presentation experience.
- Ability to facilitate and take part of consensus decision making process.
- A valid driver’s license, driver’s insurance and access to a reliable vehicle.
Qualifications and skills PREFERRED
- B.A. in Policy, Environmental Science, Political Science, or related field.
- 2 years of nonprofit experience.
- Experience working with low-income housing providers.
- Experience with meeting compliance requirements and generating or submitting compliance reports. • Experience working with grassroots campaigns or community organizing. Experience creating community accessible curricula or popular education materials.
Compensation: Competitive salary is commensurate with experience
BENEFITS: EHC offers a competitive benefits package inclusive of: Vacation and Sick (Wellness) Leave; Health, Dental, Vision and Chiropractic Insurance; Long Term Care Insurance; 401(k) Retirement Plan; and Professional Development Opportunities.
POSITION CLOSE DATE: Open Until Filled
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, put the words “SOMAH Program Manager,” followed by a dash and your last name, first name. For example: SOMAH Program Manager – Chavez, Cesar
EHC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND TRANSGENDER AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE TO APPLY
EHC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.