The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) is a statewide, community-led alliance that works to achieve environmental justice by advancing policy solutions. We unite the powerful local organizing of our members in the communities most impacted by environmental hazards – low-income communities and communities of color (immigrant communities) – to improve environmental health by creating comprehensive opportunities for change at a statewide level. CEJA Action builds political power of communities of color to advance environmentally and socially just policies in California and a more participatory, inclusive democracy.
The current CEJA Executive Director has transitioned out of the organization and a new leadership team has been established. CEJA is seeking an experienced Interim Transition Director that will work with the CEJA Steering Committee and Interim Co-Directors to manage the transition and will be responsible for overseeing the care and retention of staff. The Interim Transition Director will support in sustaining the successes of CEJA, while working with the Steering Committee, Interim Co-Directors, and CEJA staff to transition into its permanent leadership and organizational structure; and provide support for the Interim Co-Directors. The Interim Transition Director will ensure that implementation of programs and systems are continuous and will work with staff to address needs in the transition. The Interim Transition Director will be an internal facing role with limited external facing responsibilities.
Full-time, temporary, non-exempt. Open to starting immediately on a part-time basis, and eventually transitioning to full-time. The Interim Transition Director is a temporary position that is expected to last six to twelve months.
The fiscal sponsor for CEJA is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The Interim Transition Director will be an employee of EHC. The Interim Transition Director will work remotely. Remote working is mandatory during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Interim Transition Director will report to one of the Interim Co-Directors.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
- Staff Support & Human Resources:
- Support the Interim Co-Directors Team with any oversight of organizational development and operations needs of CEJA and provide coaching to the Interim Co-Director Team as needed.
- Foster staff morale and care through the transition and to ensure staff retention, including building staff readiness and excitement to partner with new interim leadership.
- Play a key role in managing consultant relationships and their associated bodies of work, including organizational wellness/healing, transition initiatives, and strategic planning.
- Wellness Planning: Support the staff and appropriate consultants to implement their Wellness Plan.
- Strategic Planning: Support the staff, Steering Committee, and appropriate consultants to create and implement an effective strategic planning process.
- Support with talent recruitment and the hiring processes for temporary and permanent positions at CEJA.
- Steering Committee Support:
- Work effectively with the Steering Committee in mapping out and implementing the transition plan, overall planning, financial oversight, member engagement, and fundraising.
- Facilitate relationship building between staff and Steering Committee.
- Support the Steering Committee, Interim Co-Directors, and staff in determining the permanent organizational leadership structure.
- Support Steering Committee, Interim Co-Directors and staff in hiring and onboarding of any new leadership positions.
- Administrative Support:
- Work with CEJA’s operation, HR and administrative staff to support consistent execution of administrative responsibilities, including lobbying reports, timely reimbursements, and expense reconciliations.
- Financial Management:
- Work with fiscal sponsor, EHC, to monitor financial performance, and development and implementation of revisions to financial strategies as needed. Work with the fiscal sponsor to produce budget-to-actual reporting, to use fiscal data as a tool for decisions, and to provide timely financial reports to the Interim Co-Directors and Steering Committee.
- Closely monitor the budget, especially tracking and problem-solving revenue generation and expenditures.
- Fund Development: Support development staff with management of fundraising efforts as needed.
- Planning and Evaluation: Engage the Steering Committee and staff in ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of CEJA’s programs and in planning to identify program, financial, and infrastructure development goals and strategies.
Qualifications and skills REQUIRED
- Seasoned nonprofit leader with successful executive level experience managing an organization (organizational development, oversight, programs, strategy, human resources, finances, fund development, and systems/infrastructure).
- Strategic thinker who is good at making decisions with an understanding of how they impact the big picture.
- Effective team-builder who is good with coaching and mentoring staff, facilitating inclusive and democratic decision-making, and promoting a sense of shared leadership.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong strategic fiscal management, oversight, and budgeting skills.
- Ability to maintain strong and positive relationships with staff, external stakeholders, and funders.
- Strong and inclusive facilitation skills, including an ability to lead conflict transformations and courageous conversations.
- Good understanding of the operational systems and infrastructure of a nonprofit (HR, finance, organizational structures).
- Experience working with boards of directors.
Qualifications and skills PREFERRED
- Deep commitment to environmental, social and economic justice, anti-oppression work, and CEJA’s mission.
- 5+ years of executive level experience in nonprofit organizations.
- Experience as an Interim Executive Director and overseeing leadership transitions.
- Experience working with a coalition and working with collaborative and shared leadership models.
- Experience with healing, restorative justice, and liberatory wellness practices.
- Experience working with non-traditional leadership and organization models, such as co-directorships, horizontal and flat organizational structures, among others.
- Experience leading grassroots organizing campaigns and working in collaboration with low-income communities of color.
COMPENSATION: $38.46/hour – $41.89/hour
POSITION CLOSE DATE: Open Until Filled
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, put the words “CEJA Interim Transition Director” followed by a dash and your last name, first name.
EHC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND TRANSGENDER AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE TO APPLY
EHC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.