Work With Us
The Development Director will develop and implement strategies for fund development at CEJA. The Director will be responsible for growing CEJA’s annual budget, including maintaining and developing relationships with funders, developing new prospects, ensuring all grant reporting and proposals are completed, as well as developing strategies to diversify CEJA’s funding sources. They will be responsible for supervising CEJA’s part-time Grant Writer.
The fiscal sponsor for the California Environmental Justice Alliance is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The Development Director will be an employee of EHC and will be covered by that organization’s salary ranges, benefits, office rules and structure. The Development Director will report to the CEJA Executive Director in LA, and can be based in the Bay Area or Los Angeles.
- Working with CEJA Executive Director, develop and maintain overall Fund Development strategy for the organization.
- Maintain and build organizational relationships with funders, including actively networking with new prospects, raising CEJA’s organizational profile, and maintaining existing relationships.
- Manage grant application development, including ensuring timely submission of all materials, drafting and compiling supplemental materials, and working closely with program staff to develop content.
- Research and maintain an active prospects list and create cultivation plans for new prospects.
- Work with fiscal manager and CEJA Executive Director to produce financial reports and budgets for grant proposals.
- Work with program staff to develop program-specific grant proposals and retain relevant program information.
- Present and give updates of fund development plans to CEJA Steering Committee, and work with Steering Committee to develop prospects for CEJA.
- Develop and implement policies for collaborative fundraising with our member organizations.
- Help plan and execute event-specific funding plans, such as securing sponsorships for our annual Congreso or other one-time fundraisers.
- With Executive Director, develop and maintain overall strategy for CEJA Action, the c4 arm of CEJA. Includes: Research and cultivation of donors for CEJA Action; managing and writing c4 grant applications; and working with The Advocacy Fund (c4 fiscal sponsor) to produce financial reports and budgets.
Develop CEJA’s Individual Donor Base (15%)
- Create and execute a strategy for growing the percentage of individual donors in CEJA’s overall revenues.
- Work with CEJA staff to implement individual donor strategies, such as working with our Communications Manager to produce materials or helping staff do targeted asks.
- Oversee donor management and cultivation.
- Track individual donations and reconcile accounts with fiscal sponsors.
General Organizational Responsibilities (15%)
- Create and track annual budget for Development work.
- Supervise and provide direction to CEJA’s part-time Grant Writer
- As needed, manage consultants to maximize and continue improving our Fund Development work.
- Foster an environment that promotes trust and cooperation amongst CEJA staff, community members, and affiliate organizations.
- Actively participate in program strategy, planning, tracking and reporting, and staff meetings.
- Actively participate in CEJA-wide events, such as annual Congreso.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
This position requires occasional travel.
Qualifications and skills REQUIRED
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in nonprofit sector (Social Justice or Environmental Justice organizations strongly preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years fund development experience
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of and proven track record of cultivating and soliciting donor contacts
- Knowledge of and experience with fundraising for special events
- Relationship builder and people person
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Internet fluency; web research a must
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS DESIRED
- Experience working with coalitions
- Highly collaborative style and sincere commitment to work collaboratively with CEJA staff, committees, organizational community members, and supporters.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and take on additional tasks as needed to support CEJA’s overall mission
- Ability to work flexible hours to respond to position needs
- Commitment to Environmental, Social and Economic Justice
Salary: Very competitive salary. Salary will be determined depending on experience.
Benefits: Includes health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan, generous vacation and sick leave
Start Date: Applications due October 20, 2017
Applications: Email resume with cover letter to: email@example.com, subject line to read: Development Director
Environmental Health Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, and LGBTQ persons to apply.